“I have been a curler all my life and a fan of Sandra Schmirler. I have always donated to the Sandra Schmirler Foundation because it is a great cause and it honours an amazing woman who was taken from us far too soon. In supporting the Foundation, we never thought that one day it would be our premature baby girls that would be benefiting from these donations.” 
Erin Bellerose

Our story starts back in October 2015 when to our shock and excitement, my husband Ryan and I found out we were expecting twins in April 2016. Our shock was doubled when we were told that the babies were Mono Mono twins, which meant they were sharing one placenta and one sac. This meant we needed to prepare for a high-risk delivery at a hospital away from our home.

After several ultrasounds, we were relieved to find out that the babies were actually Mono Di twins, meaning they were sharing one placenta, but they each had their own individual sac. This change meant that if all went well we could now deliver our identical twin girls at the Sault Area Hospital in our hometown of Sault Ste. Marie.

Although I was carrying twins, I had a pretty uneventful pregnancy. Due to the positioning of the girls in utero, we knew they were due to arrive at 37.5 weeks via C-section. However, my body had other ideas and thankfully it did because at the time we were unaware that the girls had developed a rare form of Twin-to-Twin Transfusion Syndrome known as TAPS. Baby B was getting most of the red blood cells and Baby A was being deprived of them which could have been fatal for one or both girls if they had waited any longer to arrive.

On March 30, 2016, at 35 weeks, the girls made their entrance into the world one minute apart via emergency C-section. Lauryn Alexis was born first, weighing 4lbs 2oz and Logan McKenna followed, weighing 5lbs 7oz. Unfortunately, due to complications with my delivery, I did not get to meet my beautiful baby girls right away.

I was sent to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) following their birth and they were receiving care in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).   It was 30 long hours before I met my girls for the first time but they were being well taken care of by their Daddy and the amazing nurses and doctors in the NICU.

Our family would spend 10 more days in the NICU before being released from the hospital. Today Lauryn and Logan are healthy happy typical two-year-old girls. We are grateful for every day and recognize that the Sault Area Hospital’s NICU was a vital part of our successful birth story.